Funding live-in care

Eligibility for funding your care is based on your own individual circumstances. Whilst you may be able to afford to pay for your live-in care through your own savings, assets or funds, it’s worth checking if you could be eligible for local authority or NHS funding towards the cost of your care. In either case, we recommend that you, a family member or someone you trust contacts an Independent Financial Adviser for specialist advice.

You can find regulated and impartial advice here:

funding live-in care

Here are some options to think about

Privately funding live-in care

You may be fortunate enough to be able to pay for your care with savings or money from your income. We recommend that you seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser on both planning ahead for live-in care and releasing/accessing money to pay for it.

Local authority funding

When you seek local authority help with funding your care, your assets will be means-tested to determine the level of assistance you'll receive. This means that things such as your income and assets will be looked at to see what – and how much - you’re entitled to.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Allowance is a tax-free benefit for anyone under 65 in need of care.

For more information visit:

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people over 65 who have a physical and/or mental disability and need care and support (and have done so for a minimum of 6 months).

Visit for more information.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit for those who provide care for someone who is disabled.

For more information visit:

Pension Credit

There are two different types of Pension Credit. Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

For more information visit:

The Independent Living Fund

The Independent Living Fund is available to disabled people aged 16 to 65, to help them lead a more independent life.

For more information visit:

NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC)

This is a package of care services arranged and funded by the NHS, for adults aged 18 or over.

For more information visit:

Always do your research and ask any questions that you may have.

You may find some additional information on how to fund your care at the following regulated sites:

Alzheimer's Society gives you in-depth help and contact numbers for information regarding all issues surrounding Alzheimer’s and dementia. -

Age UK provides national and local services and support for the over-60s to enable older people to make the most of later life. -

Get Care

Ready to access the life-enhancing support of live-in care?

Read more